Built during the second half of the 16th century, the Main Church of São Pedro (St Peter) has an interesting doorway framed by two pairs of Ionic columns, and features a shell-shaped niche, flanked by pilasters, and with a statue of São Pedro inside.
The church has three naves and an apse consisting of a chancel and two vaulted side chapels.
The chancel contains an altarpiece dating from the 1680s, probably one of the first examples of the Baroque in the Algarve.
However, the highlight is the chapel Capela do Santíssimo (Most Holy) which has a magnificent Baroque altarpiece from the “Joanine” period (1808 – 1821) on which a splendid relief of the Last Supper can be seen.
Also important is the painting of the descent from the cross located in the sacristy, painted by Diogo Teixeira, regarded as the best example of Mannerist painting in the Algarve.
Other features deserving of mention are the chapel Capela de Nossa Senhora da Vitória (Our Lady of Victory) which has an interesting Rococo altarpiece, the tiles in the chapel Capela das Almas (Chapel of Souls) and the series of 17th and 18th century sculptures on the church’s different altars.