With the transfer of the Seat of the Bishopric from Silves to Faro at the end of the 16th century, it became necessary to create an episcopal Palace facing the cathedral in the old city.
The Episcopal Palace was built at the beginning of the 17th century and is without doubt one of the most representative buildings of the “chão” (plain) style in the Algarve.
On the main façade, which is symmetrical in composition, two floors can be seen topped by a cornice, and seven scissor-roofs.
The 1755 earthquake caused some damage to the building and some work was needed on the door and window surrounds which were redone in the Rococo style.
From the point of view of decoration, the highlight of this palace is the magnificent collection of tiles on the inside. Consisting of examples from the 18th century in the Baroque and Rococo styles (the latter showing enormous chromatic richness), as a whole they produce a wonderful scenic effect.
The most notable works of art in the episcopal Palace collection are 17th and 18th century sculptures and also a collection of paintings with portraits of a number of bishops of the Algarve.