The Main Church of São Lourenço (St Lawrence) in Almancil is without doubt one of the great artistic treasures of the Algarve. Built during the first half of the 18th century, it is a church with a single nave and it has a chancel with a fine cupola covered in figurative tiles, which continue on the walls of the nave and the vault.
The quality of the tiles decorating this church is especially noteworthy. Designed by Policarpo de Oliveira Bernardes in 1730, they depict the life of São Lourenço and constitute the best example of Baroque art on tiles in the Algarve.
But in addition to the impressive visual impact of the tiles, the gilt carved altarpiece in the chancel deserves mention. It is an example of the Baroque style and is attributed to master Manuel Martins, the greatest Algarve carver and sculptor, who also created the statue of São Lourenço to be found there.