After authorisation was given by the Senate of the Council in 1693, the Franciscan Friars of Our Lady of the Conception occupied the spaces adjacent to the Ermida do Espírito Santo. This chapel, which no longer exists, had a single, longitudinal nave, an altarpiece in Baroque carving and walls lined with figurative tiles.
The convent Convento do Espírito Santo (Holy Spirit) was built in the early 18th century and had to undergo significant alterations after the 1755 earthquake. The neo-classical style cloisters are particularly worthy of note among the works sponsored by Bishop D. Francisco Gomes do Avelar.
The former convent houses the Municipal Art Gallery.