Despite the fact that building work on the church began in 1660, it was only opened for worship in 1707.
Featuring a single nave with a cradle vault, it has a triple apse and six side chapels with tribunes above, which is characteristic of Jesuit architecture at that time.
On the façade, which was partially rebuilt after the 1755 earthquake, six large windows can be seen, and a pediment with curving lines and an eye window in the centre.
With regard to the ornamentation inside, the highlights are the Baroque altarpieces in the chancel and side chapels, and the 18th century statues of São Camilo de Lélis (St. Camillus de Lellis) and Santo António (St. Anthony).
Other features that are worth mentioning are the ostensory with the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a statue of Christ on the cross in the chancel, as well as the mausoleum of Diogo Gonçalves, the founder of the church, who died in 1664 before seeing its completion.